27th July - Asalha Puja
Full Moon Meditation Vigil
24th October - Pavarana Day (End of Vasse)
Full Moon Meditation Vigil
11th November - Kathina
Further Information will be sent out in September
Sundays 2.00 pm in the reception room of the main house
- 5th August
- 2nd September
- 7th October
- 4th November
- 2nd December
Every Sunday, meet at the workshop at 1.30 pm
Any help is appreciated
Forest Work Days
Meet ad the workshop at 1.30 pm
- 19th August
- 16th September
- 14th October
Ongoing Dhamma Teachings
Saturday Evening, 7.30 pm, Dhamma Talk
Sunday Evening 7.30 pm, Guided Meditation
Rocana Vihara (Nuns)
There will be a Dhamma Talk on most Tuesdays evenings from July onwards when Ajahn Cittapala is in residence.
During the Vassa there will be midnight meditation vigils on the new and full moons. All are welcome to join.
Tuesday 10th July, Ajahn Cittapala will arrive at Rocana Vihara together with two
anagarikaas to stay for the Vassa
Regular Dhamma talks at Aloka Shrine Room
10th, 17th, 24th July
7th, 14th, 21st, 28th August
11th, 25th September
We will start with the evening puja at 7:30 and begin the talk around 8:30.
Regular Dana for the nuns community at Rocana Vihara
12th, 19th, 26th July
9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th August
6th, 13th, 20th, 27th September
4th, 11th, 18th, 25th October
The Dana offering will be at 11:30 AM.
Address: Rocana Vihara, Hammer Lane, Herts GU29 0PF
It would be helpful if you could let us know that you are coming to offer dana:
Tel. 01730 812 125
Long-term Lay Resident Caretaker
From time to time, there is space for a lay person who wishes to deepen their understanding and practice of Buddhism by living within our monastic setting and having the opportunity to stay as a long-term resident at Cittaviveka Buddhist Monastery.
Long-term residents follow the schedules and daily routine of the monastery. This involves taking part in the life of the community and regular periods of meditation, work, chores, and occasionally having a solitary retreat time. They are expected to have some basic experience of meditation and mindfulness practice.
We are looking for someone with gardening and maintenance skills to take on the role as the caretaker of Rocana (the nuns’ cottage), taking responsibility for the appearance of the Rocana and Aloka garden areas, looking after garden equipment and hand tools, and working with volunteers.
Applicants should be female, due to available accommodation.
The role would include:
- Taking care of the nuns’ cottage, especially during their absence
- Having good household skills and being able to identify maintenance problems
- Working independently and as part of a team of volunteers and monastics with responsibility for grounds and maintenance
- Being able to identify plants and be knowledgeable about plant care
- Digging, planting and weeding flower beds and borders
- Pruning shrubs
- Applying nutrients to plants and watering
- Cleaning and maintaining hand tools and equipment
- Caring for garden utility areas (garden shed etc.)
- Supervising experienced and inexperienced volunteers doing basic gardening tasks
- Implementing safe work procedures
- Assisting with some clerical duties such as record keeping and safety documentation
- Undertaking to offer approx. 30 hours of service per week
- Being physically fit and robust
Applicants will need to demonstrate they have the right to live in the UK through having a current valid passport and, where required, a visa.
We would invite suitable applicants to stay at the monastery for periods of up to a week during the coming months, when space is available. Following a trial period of three months, the successful applicant may be invited to stay for one year initially, but this will be reviewed every three months. This is a volunteer, residential position, available from mid-December 2017 or April 2018.